Working with Damian from Driftech over last weekend we have started to put together the test setup.
This shows the Motenergy ME0913 mounted, the short subframe with original seat, controller is under the seat mounted to the subframe, battery cradle mounted and the battery casing is in place.
All the temporary controls are in place and you can see how much room there is in the frame.
Ok so the time has come for me to step up to the next level with the electric motorcycle builds. The RG has been a great bike even though I keep pulling it apart to do other things. However the size of the frame limits what I can do with this build. Little room for batteries and even less for a larger motor.
I have decided that rather than re-arrange the bike again trying to squeeze 64ah of batteries at 72 volts, I would upscale the bike instead. This means I can now go from a 5kWh pack to a 9kWh pack and 96 volts nominal.
So here is the plan. I have a 2002 Yamaha YZF R1 rolling chassis much like this one but without the motor and stuff.
Next get the help of an awesome fabricator, Damian Butcher from Driftech, and work out what we can do. I was able to purchase a Motenergy ME0913 and Kelly 120v 400amp controller from Al at Electric Car Conversion Blog, so Damian and I started to look for design inspiration. Looking around on the internet and having some discussions we decided that the build should be GULF Petroleum colours. Not only do they look good but the irony of a defunct oil companies colours on a new electric bike is something we could not deny.
Searching for inspiration I found this awesome Ducati owned by sfarchi on ducatti.ms.
This will be at least a two stage build. The first stage will use the existing frame and a tester battery pack to confirm the performance and weight distribution. This stage will utilise the current frame with little or no modifications.
Stage two will see a custom build trellis frame with some custom body work. The subframe will be aggressively short and the bike will be as naked as sfarchi’s above.
So here we are with a rolling chassis short sub frame and motor mount.
As you could see in the last post the bike is basically complete, functionally and cosmetically. However the performance was not what I really wanted or expected.
Well I have been working with Kelly Controllers and my friend Mark and we think we have cracked it. Kelly supplied us with a test KHB Controller with new firmware for low inductance and high pole count motors. The controller has a peak motor amps of 700 compared to 500 for the previous and with the new design the continuous is 350 compared to 250. This is theoretically 24Nm of extra torque continuous and 48Nm extra peak that is a LOT.
After spending a lot of time over the week changing settings confirm we had it all right, rigging up some new meters we took it for a few very short test rides.
This bike now HAULS A**.